Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rush Creek frustration

Wind and cloudless skies make a bad combination.
I had a decent evening at Rush Creek Friday, boating five bass in the last hour or so before dark. Only one was over 15 inches, but I was happy, as I only had a couple hours to fish by the time I got there. chalk that up to a late start and a slow=moving combine blocking the road.
Anyway, the weather forecast was stable for the weekend -- mostly sunny and highs in the low 80s. I figured Sunday would be a good day to go back and check out some more areas. Since the forecast included some clouds, I was pleased with the prospects for a good day.
While I was on my way there, it was fine day, with some clouds and negligible wind. But by the time I was on the water, the clouds were gone and the wind was picking up out of the west. That's not good on Rush Creek because it lays east to west and most of the coves open to the west.
In the next four hours caught one green sunfish and had one other hit that may or may not have been a bass.
Even the one great blue heron I saw had given up his fishing efforts and was standing in a tree several feet above the lake.
I finally gave up and went home to continue a painting project I need to get done.
I'd like to get back there at least once before Sunday, but the forecast is for a cooling trend (down to about 60) by the end of the week and possibly some rain.
If I don't make it there, I'll have gto rely on my "usual spots," but it would be nice to check out a few others.
We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment