Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fall fishing

The weather lately has been enough to drive you crazy. The temperatures have been good for October, but the skies most days are cloudless and from about 10 or 11 a.m. to 4 or 5 p.m., the wind has been steady and strong enough to make boat control, let alone casting accuracy, difficult.
I was out Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Thursday and Saturday at Rush Creek, Sunday at Salt Fork. I picked up three bass Thursday, all less than 15 inches and all after 5 p.m. Saturday was a little better, again with three bass (and one crappie), one of the bass a 15-inch keeper. I also missed five bass on various lures, but I couldn't tell if any were keepers. Whether that told me anything about here to fish Saturday in the club championship will remain to be seen.
I didn't try to go to Piedmont, site of the second day of the championship, before Sunday's cutoff date for practice, because I have a good idea of where I'll fish in any case and, frankly, I didn't want to spend the money to drive over.
Sunday, Lindsey and I went to Salt Fork. We hadn't been there this year but we've usually had a good time there in the past, even if the fishing was slow. There's always a good chance to see eagles and osprey as well as other wildlife such as Turkeys and foxes.
Unfortunately, the wind was even stronger than previous days, no eagles were around and the only other wildlife we saw were squirrels and chipmunks.
Lindsey did catch two bass, one on a Super Fluke and one on a crappie jig, but I was skunked.
In hindsight, Salt Fork was probably a bad choice because of the wind and sun, but I don't know if Knox would have been any better.
If I have a day to get out this week, Knox will probably be the target. I have some ideas about what to try there if the wind would just died down.
I apologize for not having the results of the Cranberry championship yet. I know Bub Cooksey won the tournament, but I don't have any details yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment