Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall fishing

It’s hard to believe its already October. It seems like only yesterday we were atching the weather and the water temperatures, hoping to catch the bass as they moved into the shallows ready to feed before spawning. Of course, the heat came too fast and before we knew it, it seemed we were into summer patterns instead of spring.
Still, there were good days on the water. My best came in mid-June at Rush Creek, when it seemed like a good bass was laying next to every log and stump. In a period of about five hours I boated 13 bass, the largest about 4 pounds, and lost six more. Within the next week, I had good days at Knox and Hoover.
But then it started getting tough. I had some decent times at Rush Creek, Knox and Dillon, but not in tournaments at Hoover, Seneca, Dillon and Delaware.
But now, after a couple weeks of cold (or at least cool) weather and wind, we seem to be entering one of those perfect fall period that cry out for fishing.
Some people have hung up their rods and are planning duck or deer hunting days, but I’m not one of them. I’m looking forward to finding bass in the shallows again and catching them on buzzbaits, spinnerbaits and Senkos.
I don’t mean to ignore the possibility of catching saugeye, muskies or even crappie and bluegill -- and this is a good time to fish for all of those -- but I want to catch largemouth, smallmouth and spotted bass.
Unfortunately, I haven’t been out yet this week, but my first trip will probably be to Rush Creek for largemouth. After that, who knows?
I will be fishing Rush Creek and Piedmont later this month for our club championship, and Lindsey wants to get to Salt Fork, so I’ll add that to the list as well.
And if there’s time and enough good weather, Knox Lake and the Muskingum beckon as well.
Wherever you’re fishing this month, good luck. And maybe we’ll have another nice, warm fall and keep fishing well into November.

No comments:

Post a Comment