Saturday, May 1, 2010

Alan Fulks wins big at Tappan

Alan Fulks of Nashportmade the fishing look easy Saturday at Tappan Lake, winning the Southern Ohio Bassmasters club tournament by a margin of 3 1/2 pounds. Alan had five bass with a total weight of 12 pounds, 5.6 ounces, which included the big bass of the tournament, a 3-pounds, 6.6-ounce fish.
Each of the next four anglers also had five-fish limits, but none found the consistent quality of fish that Alan did.
Finishing a disnt second was Eric Woodrow of Duncan Falls, with 8 pounds, 14.4 ounces and Randy Brownrigg of McConnelsville was close behind him at 8 pounds, 6.4 ounces. Chris Lighthizer of Zanesville was fourth at 7 pounds, 15.6 ounces, and Chad Lighthizer placed fifth with 7 pounds, 8.2 ounces.
Out of 27 members fishing, 22 weighed in a total of 59 bass.
I knew it was going to be a tough day for me when I lost the first bass I had on. I didn't think it was a keeper at the time, but I caught a couple later that looked smaller, but still measured 11 1/2 inches or better.
Getting fish to hit wasn't my problem Saturday; keeping them hooked was. For some reason this spring I have been losing too many fish on soft plastic. I didn't have that problem last year and I'm using the same lures and same type of hooks on the same rod.
Maybe, like the pitcher who suddenly can't hit the strike zone, there's something wrong in my mechanics. I'll have to work on it.
The club's next tournament is at Piedmont May 15. I'll be looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment