Monday, July 26, 2010

His and Her on the river

It proved to be a wet morning on the Muskingum River Sunday (Riverside ramp, Zanesville pool) for the annual Southern Ohio Bassmasters' "His and Her" tournament. The rain came down in buckets for a while, but the bass hit anyway -- especially the smallmouth.
Kenny and Jana Fulks had the best morning, bringing in 9 pounds, 7 ounces to win the event. Randy and Melisa Brownrigg took second with 7 pounds, 12 ounces; Mindy and Chad Lighthizer placed third with 7 pounds, 11 ounces; Carry and Sean Sprankel finished fourth with 6 pounds, 7 ounces and Tami and Chris Lighthizer were fifth with 3 pounds, 11 ounces.
Eleven out of 13 teams weighed fish. Most of the fish weighed (at least those I saw) were smallmouth.
It was my first time on the river this year and, frankly, I didn't find much activity in the areas where I expected to find it. Still, Lindsey and I had the opportunity to catch some decent fish and just couldn't get them in the boat. I wound up with only one smallmouth and one spotted bass both small (we didn't have a length limit, only the five fish per angler bag limit). Some days are like that.
I was glad to see the number of smallmouth weighed in and the variety of sizes, indicagting the population is doing well in that section of river.

No comments:

Post a Comment