Thursday, July 29, 2010

Getting ready for Dillon

The last two Wednesdays, I've spent a few hours at Dillon, just trying to get a feel for the lake before my next tournament, a club (Southern Ohio Bassmasters) event on Aug. 7. I've caught fish each time, but no great numbers or any exceptional size.
I'm always kind of torn about prefishing a lake I'm as familiar with as I am Dillon. Too many times I've had a pattern fall apart on me because of a sudden change in weather and water conditions. On the other hand, I like to see how the fish are behaving and to see if I can catch any in areas that have sometimes been productive in the past although I maybe haven't fished often in recent years.
I'll probably go to Dillon one more time before the tournament. There are at least two areas I want to check out because I haven't fished there since May. I can't worry about "burning out" fish because, frankly, I'm sure almost every spot on the lake will be fished by someone in the week before the tournament. There's always a lot of pressure on the lake and, among the regulars at least, there are no "secret" holes. But will the techniques I like to use produce fish, or will I have to try other baits or techniques?
I have been fishing that like from the first year or so after it was filled, but I can still get skunked there.

No comments:

Post a Comment