Saturday, October 15, 2011

S.O.B. Classic: Day 1

Saturday was one of the most tiring and frustrating days I have spent fishing in years. The only reason I don't classify as among the most miserable as well, was that it was not snowing or drenching me with cold rain.
I was at Piedmont for the first day of our club championship. I had not been at the lake since spring, so I figured I would start were  I have had some success in the past during the fall. I should have known something was wrong when almost every other boat headed down the lake.
The lake quickly turned muddy, the sediments in Lick Run had been stirred up more than usual, turning most of the bay milky green and the wind started blowing as soon as we started to fish.
Nothing there, nothing in the other main area I wanted to fish, so we headed down the lake (Randy JAckson was fishing with me), hoping for better conditions and maybe some place to get out of the wind, which was quickly becoming a real nuisance.
We quickly found better water, but there was still no shad activity, and this at a time when they are normally thick in the bays and being fed upon by bass and muskies.
The wind was also getting worse. It swirls through the hills and valleys around Piedmont until there is almost no place to get away from it. even ion relatively calm areas, the wind would gust enough to ruin casts and blow the boat out of position if you let your attention lapse for even a minute.
The only action I had all day came when I rolled a spinnerbait over a branch and a small muskie (about 30 inches) grabbed it. For a second I thought it was a big smallmouth, but that was only the gold blades flashing in the water. Randy also had a muskie hit a spinnerbait and he later caught a small bass, but that was it.
Even though Randy and I were two of the four anglers whop blanked for the day, we aren't that far behind the leaders.
Kenny Fulks leads after day 1 with four bass weighing 4 pounds, 14.6 ounces, with Kevin Samson hot on his tail with two bass weighing 4 pounds, 13 ounces. Tom Sherfy is third with 3 bass weighing 3 pounds, 10.4 ounces.
Samson had the first day's big bass at 2 pounds, 7.8 ounces.
A total of 15 keeper bass were caught by eight of the 12 members fishing,
Sunday's second day is at Dillon. I just hope the wind dies down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment