Sunday, June 13, 2010

S.O.B. Pleasant Hill contest

The Southwern Ohio Bassmasters club tournament at Pleasant Hill Saturday, June 12 was one of those contests where almost everybody caught fish. The key was catching better fish, although no lunkers were weighed in. Out of 26 members entered, 24 weighed in 91 keeper bass. Eleven five-fish limits were recorded.
Greg Montgomery found the most good fsh and won with 8 pounds, 2.6 ounces, just over a pound ahead of Mike Baughman, who had 7 pounds, 1.4 ounces.
Chris Lighthizer was a close third with 7 pounds, 0.4 ounces and took big bass honors with a 2-pound, 12.4-ounce bass.
Kenny Fulks took fourth with 5 pounds, 14.2 ounces and Mark Hardesty was fifth with 5 pounds, 12.8 ounces.
Only a pound separated fifth from 12th. Unfortunately, I was the one in 12th with 4 pounds, 12.4 ounces, one of seven members who couldn't put that fifth keeper in the boat.
It was an interesting tournament. I talked to members who reported catching bass on buzzbaits, Pop-Rs, crankbaits, creature baits and other plastics. I saw plenty of people throwing spinnerbaits as well, so I imagine they produced some fish also. I love to fish surface lures, but I had only three half-hearted hits on buzzbaits and none on a Chug Bug or Hub's Chub.For some reason, I never threw a Pop-R. I had no hits on a crankbait or spinnerbait. All of my keepers hit a black/blue flake hand-poured Senko-type worm sold at Bob's Outdoor supply in Newark. A couple small fish came on a 4-inch Yum Dinger.
The lake had been high earlier in the week, but it was still generally clear and was only a few inches above normal, yet the fish I caught were still quite shallow. By Snday evening, however, I noticed on the Corps of Engineers site, the lake level had risen by about 20 inches.
Our next tournament is June 27 at Hoover. I certainly hope my cold spell on surface lures ends by then, as surface lures produced most of the good fish I caught at Hoover last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment