Saturday, June 19, 2010

Good evening at Rush Creek

I finally got back to Rush Creek Thursday evening (June 17) and despite some motor trouble -- my 9.9 quit and wouldn't restart so I didn't have time to get to some areas I wanted to fish -- it was a good evening.
I started at 4:30 p.m. and didn't catch much for the first hour. But in the next three hours I boated 13 largemouth and lost or missed about six others. The biggest was better than 19 inches long and fat, which would have put its weight at about 4.25 pounds. I also caught a 16, a 15 and two 14s. Only three were less than 12 inches. Of course, they have to be 15 inches to be keepers at Rush, but since I wasn't keeping anything, it doesn't matter.
Every one was caught on the same lure: a black/blue flake hand-poured Senko from Bob's Outdoor Supply, and they were all caught shallow near wood (what else would they be around at Rush Creek?) I might have had one hit on a crankbait and I lost one fish on a Yum Dinger that took me behind a stump.
I had heard bass were being caught in deep water where the channel runs close to the bank in the main lake, but they had certainly moved shallow in the areas where I fished.
Now if I could only catch fish like that in a tournament! It made even the motor aggravation and the loss of my trailer lights on the way home seem unimportant.
(I lost the lights because of a blown fuse -- I don't know yet what caused it; and the motor problem may have been something as simple as loose gas connection or a clogged vent cap, because I was able to get it started Friday.)
Now I'd like to get to Hoover before my tournament there Sunday, but I'd also like to get to Knox soon. We'll have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment