Wednesday, August 24, 2011

S.O.B. on the Muskingum

I knew we would get bad weather for a tournament sooner or later and we got it Sunday. I didn't mind the rain, but the thunderstorms were not welcome.
We had no sooner started fishing when we started hearing some distant rumbling. So, while keeping an eye on the approaching storm, Randy Jackson and I stayed near the ramp fr our early fishing. Luckily, that was where I wanted to start anyway, so I had no complaints on that score.
Unfortunately, the one good fish I had on before the lightning arrived, I lost next to the boat. I told Randy I might regret that before the day was over, and In was almost right.
Randy did get a keeper a few minutes later, and when the lightning came too close, we headed for the truck. A lot of anglers I know will stay out in a thunderstorm, but that's too dangerous for me.
The storm passed quickly, and we resumed fishing, but the bass had "turned off."
After the rain, I lost a  big fish below the McConnelsville dam, but I don't think it was a smallmouth or spot. I think I ran the crankbait over the back of a big drum and spooked it into the air.
Finally, about 1 p.m., I put a keeper spot in the boat and I would at least get some points.
Eric Woodrow won the tournament with three bass weighing 2 pounds, 15.5 ounces, while Bruce Reavley was close behind with three bass weighing 2 pounds, 13 ounces.
Debbie Woodrow finished third with two bass weighing 2 pounds, 7.2 ounces and took big bass honors with a 1-pound, 10.1-ounce fish.
Tom Sherfy placed fourth with two bass weighing 2 pounds, 1.6 ounces and Mark Lasure was fifth with two bass weighing 1 pound, 14.4 ounces.
Out of 24 members fishing, 16 weighed in a total of 26 bass.
I finished 10th, which was good enough keep me in sixth place in gthe club standings.
With two tournaments left, Randy Brownrigg has a comfortable 99-point lead over Mike Baughman and 104 points over Tom Sherfy.

No comments:

Post a Comment