Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cold front fishing

Post cold front conditions are among the toughest for bass fishing during the summer. And, naturally, I picked exactly that kind of morning to visit Knox Lake Wednesday.
It was cool enough in the morning, after having dropped into the 40s overnight, that I almost wished I had a jacket with me. Well, it finally warmed up to a comfortable mid-70s, but the high, blue skies and steady north wind didn't fill me with confidence.
I finally scratched out three bass by the time I quit around 2 p.m. They were decent fish (18, 17 and 15 inches), but to get them I had to let my hand-poured Senko with a 1/16-ounce weight sink four to eight feet in the tops of fallen trees or brush. Not an easy task in the wind! I probably should have tried some other things, such as throwing crankbaits or Rat-L-Traps around the deeper cover, but I thought I would pick up more on the stickbaits.
Actually, did crank an area where a point has a creek bed running alongside it, but I caught nothing.
I talked to another another angler who I encountered two or three times on the lake and he had about the same success I did, although he caught his fish on a small spinnerbait. I don't know how deep he was fishing.
Another angler posted on the Ohio Game Fishing site that he fished the lake that afternoon and had some success cranking rat-L-Traps on points and flats where he saw schools of baitfish.
I wonder if the wind died down or the baitfish moved up after left because I saw no sign of baitfish activity on the points earlier (too much wave action). I did see some baitfish activity on the surface in some sheltered areas, but no evidence of any bass feeding on them.
Whatever the case, I find cold fronts generally force me to fish deeper and slower than I like to, under the theory that if you place a lure in front of a fish, it might hit. It makes sense, however, to fish crankbaits in the same areas, as well as on points and flats, especially when you consider that the baitfish. may well be congregating in exactly those areas.
Trouble is, I haven't been catching many fish on crankbaits this year and it's hard to stick with them very long.
Oh well, there's always next time -- if I can quit pitching plastics long enough to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment