Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Delaware S.O.B. results

The carp were rolling early at Delaware, but that didn't bother me. They were raising a ruckus along the shore and I thought the bass would be further out on the trees along the bank I like to fish this time of year. They weren't, or at least weren't responding to the lures I was using. I found bass later, but it wouldn't be enough to get in the money.
Tim Magers won the tournament with four bass weighing 7 pounds, while Kevin Samson finished second with four fish weighing 6 pounds, 10.2 ounces.
Nick Belt placed third with five bass weighing 6 pounds, 4 ounces; Randy Brownrigg took fourth with five bass weighing 6 pounds, 1.8 ounces and Mike Baughman was fifth with four bass weighing 6 pounds, 0.6 ounces.
Big bass was a 4-pound, 0.2-ounce fish caught be Shane Finney.
Out of 28 contestants in the event, 23 weighed in 62 bass.
It wasn't a bad day, although the cloud cover breaking up and the wind blowing straight up the lake was annoying. In fact, the wind was blowing as soon as we started and only got worse during the day. To be accurate, the wind was mostly at the annoying level, rather than aggravating. That was because early in the day I changed the boat direction to avoid running into a log and hit something underwater. At least one screw popped loose and I spent the rest of the day babying the trolling motor -- keep it at minimal power, no sudden changes of direction and don't hit anything else -- but that wasn't why I ended up with only three bass.
I just didn't get enough hits. I only missed two, for whatever reason, and I only lost one, which I jerked out of a brush pile and which MIGHT have been a keeper.
The lake was actually in good shape: A bit murky in the upper end and within an inch or two of normal summer pool. The lake had been a few inches high, but if it still was, I couldn't tell.
Our next tournament is not until June 18 at Charles Mill. I'm looking forward to that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment