Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First fishing trip

This has been a slow spring for me as far as getting getting out fishing is concerned. I was about ready to get the bat out and try Buckeye or some other lake when two things happened: The weather turned cold and wet again and I landed a job at the Mount Vernon News.
The final result was that I didn't get out until Sunday, April 10. I should have gone Saturday, but Carolyn had an event that evening and I went along.  Still, Sunday's forecast sounded decent, except for the possibility of wind, and I wouldn't have t be back at any particular time.
Naturally, I still had several things to do before I could get the boat out (for one thing, I almost forgot to put the registration sticker on the trailer and had to find it) and it was after noon before I got to Knox Lake. Dillon I knew would be muddy after all the rain early in the week. Rush Creek was probably bad as well and Buckeye would be overrun with boats.
The morning was calm and I hoped for the best, but no sooner had I launched the boat than the wind seemed to pick up, coming generally out of the south. The wind got worse as the afternoon went on as it was being funneled up the lake, with almost no way to get out of it.
When you're grabbing your hat because of sudden gusts, it's a little hard to keep focused on fishing.
Anyway, I lost a bass early on a Chatterbait and missed another on Senko-type worm. I was ready to quit as I finished fishing the one sheltered area I could find.
Then, as I made one last cast with a spinnerbait to a tree before heading back to the ramp, I hooked into a god fish. It was 17 inches long and very pale, as if it had just come out of deep water. I probably would have had a better afternoon if I had spent more time working the spinnerbait or a crankbait instead of pitching worms and tubes, but within the water temperature about 56 degrees, I thought the other baits would produce, although they can be tough to fish in the wind, at least as lightly as I had them weighted.
At least I finally got on the water and had a little success to start the year.
Maybe this weekend will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment