Sunday, March 27, 2011

Buckeye results

When I headed out to Buckeye Lake this afternoon to catch the weigh-in of the Perry County Anglers' Leroy Sheppard Memorial Open, I didn't expect much. I was sure a few fish would be weighed in -- somebody would find a few. I also wouldn't be surprised to see at least one big fish brought to the scales.
It was cold and I knew being out on that lake today was an attractive prospect. I was told the wind chill was 15 degrees when the tournament started.
I wasn't the only one who preferred not to go out today as there were only 10 boats entered and one of those didn't show up. I was also told t least two teams showed up, but decided it wasn't worth it to go out.
It turned out, though, there there was actually a decent number of bas caught and the wining weight was impressive.
Jim Hite and Brian Caudill won the contest with 10 bass weighing 19.07 pounds. They also took big bass honors with a 4.47-pound fish.
They were way ahead of the rest of the field, who brought in the kind of catch I expected to see. Doug Buzard and Mike Bay finished second with three bass weighing 6.96 pounds, Bill Bircher and Hunter Certain finished third with three fish weighing 4.09 pounds, Terry Tipton and Mike Barclay took fourth with three bass weighing 3.86 pounds and Josh Fry and Chuck Davis placed fifth with a 1.08-pound bass.
One other team reported having a keeper, but didn't bother to weigh it in when they saw what was already in.
I was glad to see the number of fish weighed in, but I sure hope it's warmer when I finally hit the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment