Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fulks wins at Delaware

With one tournament left, Kenny Fulks could probably skip it and still win the Southern Ohio Bassmasters Angler of the Year title. I'll have to wait and see the point totals the see if that is actually right, but Kenny cemented his hold on the top spot by winning the club tournament Sunday at Delaware Reservoir.
Kenny had five bass weighing 6 pounds, 12 ounces to edge out Eric Woodrow, who had three bass weighing 6 pounds, 7.2 ounces. Eric also had the tournament's big bass at 3 pounds, 12.2 ounces.
The rest of the top five had five-fish limits. Tom Sherfy finished third ith 5 pounds, 11.2 ounces, Greg Montgomery placed fourth with 5 pounds, 4.6 ounces and Mike Baughman took fifth with 4 pounds, 12.6 ounces.
Out of 22 members fishing, 16 weighed in 48 keeper bass.
The day started out nice enough: It was overcast and I even felt a few rain drops as sped up the lake after the blastoff. Unfortunately, the skies cleared and the wind soon picked up and blew all day.
I should have taken advantage of the early overcast and worked some topwater lures, especially the popper I had tied on one rod, but maybe because I missed a fish early on the hand-poured senko-type bait I thought was going to work, I never did.
I can be amazingly hard-headed when I'm fishing and I persisted with the stickbait despite the wind, although I did lose what might have been a keeper on one of Bob Mathie's cut baits. With the combination of wind and sun I probably should have spent more time throwing a spinnerbait, but instead, when I wasn't stubbornly throwing the plastics, I threw a variety of crankbaits. In my defense, those have usually been productive for me on Delaware.
I wound up with just a few small bass caught on the stickbait and was one of the six members who failed to weigh in a fish.
We have one regular tournament left, on Sept 26 on the Muskingum River. Maybe I can at least regain some confidence there.

Open reminder
Sunday, Sept. 19, is the Chuck Murrey Memorial Fund Raiser bass tournament at Dillon. For an entry form, you can visit the Southern Ohio club website or you should be able to find entry forms at tackle shops and bait stores in the Zanesville and Newark area. Teams can also enter at the ramp. Blastoff is at 7 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment