Monday, August 23, 2010

Alum Creek looking better

I think the bass fishing is starting to pick up at Alum Creek. Most of the reports I've heard during the past few weeks have been of slow action and a tough time finding keepers.
But that's been true almost everywhere in the oppressive heat we were enduring.
I didn't have any plans to go to Alum any time soon since it's not my favorite lake and I don't have a tournament there this year. Delaware is where I hope to spend more time soon (more on that in a minute).
Anyway, Wayne Hanley called me Saturday morning and asked if I wanted to go to Alum with him that afternoon. He is getting ready for the Cranberry Marsh Bass CLub tournament there Sunday and wanted to check out some areas.
I had no plans, so I said sure, grabbed some rods and tackle (and my rain suit) and we got to the lake about 11 a.m.
Without giving away any of the places we fished or how he caught his fish, I will say that after two heavy rains and six or seven hours of fishing, Wayne had put nine or 10 bass in the boat, at least three of which were solid keepers. Unfortunately, I only put one keeper in the boat. I did miss several fish, but we were fishing deeper and slower than I usually fish and my timing was way off.
I suspect that with the more reasonable temperatures predicted for this week, the shallow water action will be improving. I'd be more confident of that if more rain were in the forecast, but I still think Cranberry will have a decent tournament there Sunday.
I'm just glad I don't have to figure it out, as that lake is usually mean to me in tournaments, whatever the conditions.
I much prefer fishing Delaware, which my daughter, Lindsey, and I did Wednesday evening. We didn't have a good evening. I only caught one bass and missed a couple others, while she caught a sunfish on a crankbait.
I didn't know what to expect, as I had not been at Delaware yet this season, but the lake was a good color and the shad were active on the surface with some feeding activity going on. I did find bass in two of the four areas we were able to check out, so that was encouraging, and we did got to enjoy watching two osprey feed so it was at least an enjoyable evening.
Next time should be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment