Thursday, April 22, 2010

Buckeye report

Buckeye Lake is not my favorite fishing destination, even though it is the closest Central Ohio lake to my home.
It has a well-earned reputation as a good bass lake (maybe not what it once was, but still quite good), and it regularly produces good catches of crappie, bluegill, saugeye, catfish and "wipers" (white bass/striped bass hybrids). In fact, for the last week, the wipers have been on a feeding binge and anglers have been flocking to he lake to enjoy it. When I launched my boat Thursday afternoon, I counted 10 boats working the area between Cranberry Marsh and the south shore.
But I wasn't there to catch wipers, as much fun as that can be. I was after largemouth.
The week before I visited the lake and found bass in several shallow-water locations that told me the bass were definitely moving into spawning areas and if the weather held, they might even start fanning beds. It's early yet, but the water was already 65 degrees in some areas.
Unfortunately, the cold front that moved through last Friday and Saturday knocked my plans for Sunday's club tournament for a loop. I only had a few hits all day and only one was clearly a keeper, which I lost beside the boat.
When the weather turned nice again this week, I found myself with some time available Thursday, so I decided the try the lake once more. I could have written off Buckeye and gone to Dillon or maybe Rush Creek, but I was convinced I should be able to find some active bass on Senko-type baits or spinnerbaits.
I also heard the lake was becoming unusually clear, and I had to see it for myself.
It was unusually clear, especially in the west end of the lake, so I headed east from the north shore ramp. First stop was the marsh and I could see logs and root structures I had never seen before. But no bass, so I headed into Maple Bay, figuring it was warmed up to what it was te week before and was probably a bit more discolored than the main lake.
In fact, I found warmer water, up to 66 degrees.
I didn't load the boat, but I did catch a couple 13-inch bass, one on a spinnerbait and one on a hand-poured Senko-type worm, and several small fish. I also caught (on the Senko) a crappie that for I minute thought might be a Fish Ohio qualifier, but it proved to be about an inch short.
Having only about an hour left before sunset, I made a quick run down to Heron Bay, but it only produced one small bass on a crankbait before I had to head for the ramp.
Not a great afternoon on the water, but enough to restore a bit of my confidence in the lake so I'll be more willing to spend some time there despite all the boat traffic and the feeling that I'm always fishing in someone's back yard. With money tight and gas prices climbing, fishing close to home is a bonus.
Spotting a pair of osprey and a drake wood duck also helped, and watching the nesting geese, which often seem to be squabbling over territory or mates added some entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment